The Council derives its mandate from the Persons with Disabilities Act, 2003 which established it and outlined its core functions as follows:
- Formulating and developing measures and policies designed to achieve equal opportunities for PWDs;
- Cooperating with the government during the National Census to ensure that accurate figures of PWDs are obtained;
- Issuing orders requiring the adjustment of buildings that are unfriendly for use by PWDs;
- Recommending measures to prevent discrimination against PWDs;
- Encouraging and securing the rehabilitation of PWDs within their own communities and social environment;
- Registering persons with disabilities and institutions and organizations giving services to PWDs; and Raising public awareness on Disability.