NCPWD through a task force that comprised of the Chairperson of NCPWD Board, Board Directors, Representative from Ministry of Labour and Social Protection, Representative from Ministry of Health, Representative from Kenya Law Reform Commission, Representative from the Kenya Revenue Authority and NCPWD Secretariat reviewed and aligned the Persons with Disabilities, No. 14 of 2003 Act Regulations. The review and alignment was necessitated by resolutions made by the Board of Directors on 30th August 2019 whereby Persons with Disabilities (Registration) Regulations, 2009, Persons with Disabilities (Income Tax Deductions and Exemptions) Order, 2010 and Persons with Disabilities (Access to Employment, Services and Facilities) were identified as documents that needed a review and alignment to mitigate challenges that persons with disabilities face in Kenya which includes;
- The registration process of persons with disabilities that takes longer due to guidelines and regulations that guide to the Director of Medical Services.
- Tax exemption threshold limit that lack proper guiding manual.
- Tax exemption vetting and renewal of certificates process for permanent disability.
- Lack of guidelines on the implementation of at least five percent reservation of employment to persons with disabilities.
- Lack of accommodation to persons with disabilities during the announcement of vacancies, recruitment, training, and career development.
In this regard, the Council wishes to invite members of the public to study and submit written views/comments and recommendations on the Draft for Persons with Disabilities (Amendment) Regulations, 2020 which can be accessed from the Council’s website at www.ncpwd.go.ke to be received on 31st July, 2020.