The Disability Mainstreaming Department conducts disability mainstreaming at NCPWD. Its core mandate is to facilitate Disability Mainstreaming Programmes in the Public and Private Sector. The department’s primary objective is to ensure that Government institutions embrace the Principal of Universal Design, Reasonable Accommodation, and setting up an atmosphere that accelerates the needs and aspirations of PWDs. Hence, it is centered on creating an all-inclusive and accessible environment for Persons with Disabilities. The Disability Mainstreaming department carries out different departmental activities which align to the realization of the core mandate of their objectives, i.e., It carries out training and sensitization to increase awareness on rights of PWDs to Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs), it institutionalizes Disability Mainstreaming in all policies and programs, it lobbies and advocates for reservation of job opportunities for PWDs emphasizing on 5% progressive achievement for PWDs, etc.
Disability Mainstreaming forms part of the indicators in the Performance Contract of all MDAS with the essence of anchoring disability into government policies, plans, and programs. As a result, institutions have put measures and programs that ensure the needs, interests, and aspirations of PWDs are addressed.
Such measures include:
- Establishment and operationalization of Disability Mainstreaming Committee with 30% representation of PWDs.
- Formulation of Disability Mainstreaming Action Plan to ensure that Staffs are informed on disability related aspects and to empower persons with disabilities.
- Sensitization and training of staff on service provision to persons with disabilities
- Establishment of structures and systems that ensure persons with disabilities access information and services, e.g.; Train staff on sign language, avail materials in Braille, ramps, signage, guides, accessible toilets, lifts with visual, audio and ductile features, non-slippery floor surface, disability friendly vehicles & walkways, accessible parking
- Ensuring progressive realization of attaining the 5% on elective, appointive, contractual of all recruited personnel in appointments, employment/promotion for persons with disabilities.
- Ensuring that there is no discrimination in advertising, interviewing, recruitment, volunteerism, internships, training & promotions of PWDs.
Disability Mainstreaming Training Enrollment
The disability mainstreaming training is meant to build capacities of DMC committees in order to equip them with information that would make them improve services in their respective institutions on disability as an indicator.
Among the topics that will be covered include:
1 The meaning, cause and types of disability.
2 Disability mainstreaming and strategy.
3 Reasonable accommodation in the work place.
4 disability mainstreaming as performance indicator..
5 disability accessibility and usability audits.
6 international and local legal frameworks on disability.
The cost of the training is Ksh 20,000/= which covers course materials and conference facility.