The Council through the fund also provides grants to Community and Self Help Groups for Economic Empowerment.
The main objective of this programme is to assist Persons with Disabilities gain self-sufficiency in generating income and to enable them to gain the skills and experience to access the loans required to grow their business. Economic empowerment grants are for established groups of persons with disabilities to start up business activities.
The groups must be of and for persons with disabilities. This can include the carer’s of Persons with Disabilities. The group must be at least one-year-old to be eligible. Groups need to be legally registered to operate within the Republic of Kenya and also registered with the National Council for Persons with Disabilities in order to apply, over the last two years the Council supported 578 groups with Economic grants for them to establish and grow small businesses.
The requirement for the Economic Empowerment include;
- Registration with NCPWD
- Dully filled Economic Empowerment form.
- Signed copy of minutes of past meeting, contacts and national ID of members.
- Certificate of registration.
- Certified Bank statement of the group.
- Constitution of the group.
- Proposal with the Budget for the project.